- Candidates must be a citizen or Permanent Resident of Australia.
- Candidates must have completed (or be in the final stage of completing) at least a Bachelor Degree in any discipline by the end of 2018.
- Candidates must not already have a Degree in Education.
- Candidates must have already completed (or be on track to successfully complete) a major study in at least one of the currently open learning areas. Learning areas are based on degree specialisations and close as we fill vacancies. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to ensure their area of study is still accepting applications. Find current learning area status here.
Teach For Australia Associates don’t start out as teachers – in fact, they come from all academic disciplines and a variety of backgrounds. Teaching may or may not be something that you have previously considered. We look for well-rounded and passionate individuals who have the qualities to create change, inside the classroom and beyond.
Through the selection process, candidates are assessed against eight competencies based on evidence of effectiveness in the classroom.
- Leadership and achievement: Have you gained significant, measurable results at university, extracurricular activities and/or work? Have you demonstrated leadership and achievement in your endeavours?
- Commitment to mission: Are you eager to bring about change and make a difference in the lives of the students you teach? Do you passionately and actively believe in the power of education as a force for social justice?
- Communication and influencing ability: Are you a clear and confident communicator and are you able to influence and motivate others? Do you have maturity and presence? Are you an active listener?
- Problem solving: Are you able to think critically, analyse information and generate relevant solutions to problems?
- Organisational and planning ability: Are you able to plan, organise and prioritise your activities effectively to meet deadlines?
- Resilience: Are you willing to work hard with resilience and optimism to overcome obstacles? Do you relish a challenge and are you driven to succeed?
- Humility, respect and empathy: Do you operate with humility? Do you show respect and empathy towards others? Do you look for the best in the people around you?
- Learning and self-evaluation: Are you driven to succeed? Are you open to learning from others and do you seek out opportunities to do so? Do you take ownership for development with regards to your own performance?
We recognise that these competencies can be developed through a range of experiences and all applications are looked at holistically. We harness different perspectives, experiences and talents in order to continually learn and best serve our culturally diverse school communities.
We are committed to ensuring that all applicants are treated fairly and with respect, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, age, race, religion or ability. We are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process to accommodate your particular circumstances.