We expand the impact of our Leadership Development Program to South Australia for the first time.
- We recruit 161 Associates to our Leadership Development Program who will commence teaching in 2022 across five states and territories.
- For the first time, we partnered with the SA Department for Education to place three Associates at schools in Roxby Downs and Whyalla as part of a small-scale pilot of our Leadership Development Program.
- We deliver the new Future Leaders Program with an inaugural cohort of 43 teachers from outer regional and remote communities.
- Our CEO and Founder, Melodie Potts Rosevear, receives the Order of Australia Medal for services to education, particularly to teacher development.
- The NSW Productivity Commission White Paper, Rebooting the Economy, endorses our Leadership Development Program as a cost-effective pathway and “proven model”.
- We make a submission to the Federal inquiry into Quality Initial Teacher Education (ITE) and its impact on students.
- Almost 15,000 Applications received
- 1200+ Associates commenced teaching
- 250+ partner schools
- 440,000+ students reached
Since 2021… First year of pilot
- 43 Fellows commence the program
- 31 partner schools in WA and NT
Stories from 2021
- We recruit our largest cohort of the Leadership Development Program to date, with 171 Associates commencing teaching in 2021.
- With the support of the Australian Government Department of Education, Skills and Employment, we launch the new Future Leaders Program offering leadership development for teachers in regional, rural and remote communities.
- We launch our first Reconciliation Action Plan: Reflect.
- Responding to the challenges of COVID-19, we make significant changes to our operations and programming to support our Associates and their efforts as teachers and leaders, including pivoting to remote learning & training models, increasing our coaching and mentoring support, investing in health and wellbeing initiatives and developing new resources to support virtual teaching practices.
- 13000 + Applications received
- 1120 Associates commenced teaching
- 229 Partner schools
- 370000+ Students reached
- 133 Fellows
Stories from 2020
We celebrate our 10 year anniversary and welcome Cohort 2019, our largest cohort to date.
- We celebrate our 10-year anniversary, launching this 10-year timeline which gathers together stories from students and teachers throughout the years.
- 10994 Applications received
- 831 Associates commenced teaching
- 182 Partner schools
- 235000+ Students reached
- 90 Fellows
Stories from 2019
We begin a partnership with ACU and place most of our new teachers in regional and remote schools.
- Teach For Australia partners with ACU to deliver a Master of Teaching (Secondary) (Leading Learning), in a fully integrated academic and employment-based program marking a bold innovation in teacher training.
- Teach For Australia launches its enhanced school Mentor Development Program, thanks to the generous support of the William Buckland Foundation.
- For the first time, Teach For Australia places the majority of Associates (54 per cent) in regional and remote schools.
- 9508 Applications received
- 676 Associates commenced teaching
- 156 Partner schools
- 179000+ Students reached
- 70 Fellows
Stories from 2018
Supporting Indigenous education
At the CSIRO, Alisha believes she can have a broader impact across many schools and that she can counter some of the systemic issues of discrimination, including encouraging Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander participation in science.
We expand to Tasmania and now partner with over 100 schools.
- Teach For Australia begins a partnership with Tasmania, placing 13 Associates at nine partner schools in the first year.
- The Australian Government releases an independent evaluation of the Teach For Australia program, finding that “Teach For Australia is substantially delivering against the Australian Government’s key objective of placing high-quality teachers in schools serving low socioeconomic communities to meet specific skill requirements, for as long as possible.”
- 100th school partners with Teach For Australia.
- 8004 Applications received
- 549 Associates commenced teaching
- 132 Partner schools
- 133000+ Students reached
- 46 Fellows
Stories from 2017
Emma begins her two-year Impact Initiative through Teach To Lead, which is “about redefining what success is in terms of post-school pathways, focused on employment and training post high school.”
We launch the Teach To Lead program, and become known as a top graduate employer.
- The Australian Government reaffirms its support of Teach For Australia with another multi-cohort agreement.
- Teach For Australia launches its Teach To Lead program, with its first cohort of Fellows.
- Teach For Australia is ranked 36th among the 2016 GradAustralia’s Top 100 Graduate Employers, the only non-profit on the list.
- Teach For Australia launches its Ambassador program with 29 Ambassadors from across the country.
- 6460 Applications received
- 418 Associates commenced teaching
- 98 Partner schools
- 96000+ Students reached
- 16 Fellows
We expand to Western Australia and begin a partnership with Deakin University.
- Teach For Australia begins its partnership with Western Australia, placing 13 Associates there in one year. This number nearly triples in the next year.
- Associates now earn a Master of Teaching degree through a newly established partnership with Deakin University.
- Michael Briggs-Miller (Cohort 2010) becomes principal of Warracknabeal Secondary College, Teach For Australia’s first Alumni to do so.
- 5016 Applications received
- 295 Associates Placed
- 78 Partner schools
- 68000+ Students reached
Stories from 2015
“I was the only student from the Pavilion School who has ever gone through the process of finishing VCE. At university, I was surrounded by private school kids and even I was a bit shocked when they gave me an award for getting the highest marks.”
An independent evaluation finds that our teachers are making a positive impact as we receive 30 per cent more applications for the program than the year before.
- The Australian Government releases an independent evaluation of the Teach For Australia program conducted by the Australian Council for Educational Research, finding “TFA attracts exceptional teachers…and has a big impact on student performance, teacher quality and teacher retention.”
- The Australian Association of Graduate Employers ranks Teach For Australia 19th on the list of most aspirational employers as the only not-for-profit, just below Boston Consulting Group.
- 3765 Applications received
- 228 Associates placed
- 62 Partner schools
- 49000+ Students reached
Stories from 2014
“I felt that there were a lot of issues in the education and public policy space which could have a huge impact on life opportunities in the community.”
The Australian Government continues its support of our program and interest in the program grows.
- The Australian Government announces a multi-cohort agreement with Teach For Australia, thus continuing its support of the program.
- 2814 Applications received
- 178 Associates commenced teaching
- 53 Partner schools
- 33000+ Students reached
We expand to the Northern Territory and our first cohort graduates from the program.
- Teach For Australia begins partnering with the Northern Territory, placing six Associates in Tennant Creek and Katherine.
- Teach For Australia receives formal recognition and certification as a charity, allowing the addition of philanthropic funding.
- Teach For Australia’s first cohort graduates and becomes Alumni.
- 100th Associate joins the program.
- 2268 Applications received
- 128 Associates placed
- 33 Partner schools
- 20000+ Students reached
Stories from 2012
We expand into the ACT and our second cohort begins teaching.
- Teach For Australia expands into the Australian Capital Territory.
- 18 STEM specialists join the 2011 Cohort, passing up jobs as research fellows, project engineers, environmental scientists and policy advisers, as well as turning down top engineering graduate programs and fully funded international PhDs to dedicate themselves to addressing educational disadvantage in Australia.
- 1539 Applications received
- 87 Associates placed
- 30 Partner schools
- 10000+ Students reached
Our first cohort of Associates begin teaching in Victoria.
- The Australian Government supports Teach For Australia through a multi-cohort agreement.
- The first cohort of Associates begin teaching in Victoria, the first state to partner with Teach For Australia.
- After establishing a partnership with the University of Melbourne in 2009, Associates begin their Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching through the university.
- 751 Applications received
- 45 Associates placed
- 13 Partner schools
- 3500+ Students reached